Blood work is a very common test that is used for the diagnosis of various conditions in patients of all ages. Blood tests are slightly painful and the impact of the test (which is generally very mild swelling and pain around the puncture site) disappears in a day or two.
However, the fasting (which is usually between 8-12 hours) preceding the blood work can be gruesome. Here are a few tips to handle the fasting phase well.
- When you book your lab tests online look for options that offer home collection facilities and fix appointments earlier during the day.
- Ensure your water intake is increased significantly to stay hydrated. This helps the shy veins to show up better and makes the blood draw much easier and painless.
- Do not substitute water with fruit juices, coffee/tea or other beverages as the glucose content can alter the test results significantly.
- Avoid driving or operating machinery during the fasting period. Infact avoid any kind of strenuous work (no workouts or staying outdoors for a long time) that it might make you feel weak and exhausted before the test.
- Continue water intake and rest well if a feeling of dizziness overtakes you. Do not use health supplements or vitamin capsules during the fasting period as this can alter the test results too.
With these simple tips in place, your next visit to a diagnostics lab test center Mumbai will be stress-free even after hours of fasting.